Open Call to Artists – Alternative Portraits
The deadline for this open call has now closed.
An Open Call to submit work for an exhibition of Alternative Portraits.
Artists Michael Borkowsky and Sharon Mossbeck present Alternative Portraits, an open call exhibition of non-traditional portraiture to be run at Access Space, Sheffield, from 8th September – 4th October 2017.
We are looking for artists to submit work to us under the theme of Alternative Portraits. We are particularly interested in the use of new technologies, such as 3D printing and laser cutting, but this is not a requirement. We are looking for work which pushes the boundaries of traditional portraiture, or explores what portraiture can be. Please interpret the theme of the Alternative Portraits as you see fit.
The exhibition will be at Access Space, Sheffield from 8th September – 4th October. The exhibition opening hours will be Wednesday – Friday 11am – 6pm, and there will be a private view on 8th September from 5.30– 8pm. Everyone welcome.
The deadline for submissions will be Friday 4th August. Applicants will then be notified on Friday 11th August as to whether their application has been successful.
Guidelines for Submitting work
Please follow these guidelines for submitting work. We will only consider applications which follow these guidelines:
- Artists may only submit one piece of work. (if a work is made up of separate components – e.g a painting made up of 3 canvasses – then we will still deem it to be one piece of work)
- The piece of work submitted must measure no more than 1 meter across any given width
- Regretfully, Audio/Visual or performance works cannot be accommodated
- Please only submit work which is already complete
- If your work is framed, please ensure that it is string-backed
- If work has any unusual requirements (e.g. it is particularly heavy or needs hanging in a particular way) please tell of how you would like this to be done
- We cannot accept applications received after the deadline (4th August)
How to Submit Work
To submit work, please email up to 3 images of the work you want to show to firstname.lastname@example.org along with the following:
- Your name
- Your email address
- Your home town/ city
- Title of work
- Materials used
- Dimensions of the piece
- Price (if you wish to offer the work for sale)
- A statement of no more than 100 words (this may be included in the exhibition alongside your work)
- Date when the work was completed
Hand in Dates
Please note that the venue for handing your work to us is different to the exhibition venue.
If your submission is successful, you will have between 11th August and 2nd September to get your work to us. You may do this by doing one of the following:
- Posting your work to Exchange Place Studios, Exchange St, Sheffield S2 5SZ
- Delivering your work in person to reception at Exchange Place Studios, which is open weekdays from 11am – 4pm.
- We will be present in Exchange Place Studios from 11-4pm on Friday 1st and Saturday 2nd September if you’d rather hand your work to the organisers in person
When you deliver your work to us, please ensure that it is as specified in the original submission, complete and presented as you wish it to be exhibited and, if framed, ready to hang. We cannot be held responsible for work that gets lost or damaged in the post.
Please note that the venue for collecting your work from us is different to the exhibition venue.
After the exhibition you can collect your work in person from Exchange Place Studios on either the 6th or 7th October, between 11am and 4pm.
You may also make arrangements for us to post your work back to you. If you wish to do this, we will require the correct postage and packaging costs to be paid to us in advance, and you must allow the expected delivery to be between 7th October – 7th November 2017. You may wish to consider handing us a stamped addressed envelope when initially handing work to us to ensure a quicker return delivery.
Your work may be up for sale. Access Space don’t take any commission but as a charity ask that, should you wish to donate some of your proceeds from sales to them you may do so, but you’re under no obligation.