playing with perfume | speculating on studio spaces | investigating creative processes

Perfume as Practice Call-Out to Artists

5 Perfumes made, 45 to go! I have had some great responses to the question ‘why do you make art’. What has struck me is the varied and individual range of responses – reflective of my desire to create bespoke products that capture the essence of artists’ personas. No two have been the same and confirm that there are as many reasons to practice creative endeavors as there are people.

2 Perfume Portraits

If you are an artist or maker, I would love to hear a response to the question ‘why do you make art?‘ as it will enable me to create a perfume portrait that captures the essence of your creative persona. These perfumes will be onΒ displayΒ at Bank StreetΒ Arts, Sheffield, early next year, with a view to tour the UK.

Get in touch with me either by commenting on this blog, or emailing borkowskyart@gmail.com …Thank you! πŸ™‚Β

Advertisements

31 responses

1. Lynn Silverman

The creative process is what drives me–the doing, the making, the way my hands move and manipulate, the way my mind switches off everything else. It’s like working in a garden and digging in the dirt–that connection with authenticity. When the process is over I often feel sad and satisfied at the same time.

November 29, 2015 at 11:51 pm

• Thank you for your response Lynn πŸ™‚

November 30, 2015 at 3:35 pm

2. I am compelled to make Art..it is something I have to do…it is a place and zone where I am alone..but touched by the cosmic conscious..It feels like a very special expieriance in time and space…My work is an expression of the light and dark that I find in my soul..it is a way of communication that seems to just be in me.

November 30, 2015 at 5:37 pm

• That’s a great response, thank you πŸ™‚

November 30, 2015 at 5:58 pm

3. Anonymous

i make art because it thrills me when a new idea arrives. Once past that stage i have to bring the work to conclusion, otherwise it would be as though it had died before achieving its potential. When im on my own working its as though i become lost in the act. I dont think being an artist is good for me, but then if i werent an artist who would i be.

November 30, 2015 at 7:38 pm

4. J9

Art is my way of disconnecting from the everyday life. My mind and creation wonders off in a beautiful world where there is no rules or judgments or problems. It’s healing. Most people are all blinded by society, so I bring the invisible beauty, visible …by bringing more light and colors, in hopes that my finish product will heal and bring souvenirs and dreams back to life.

December 1, 2015 at 10:52 am

December 1, 2015 at 2:15 pm

5. marina camargo bastos

Preciso de arte para viver! Meu trabalho é uma celebração da alegria e da harmonia.

December 4, 2015 at 2:14 am

• Obrigado! (I hope that’s right) πŸ™‚

December 4, 2015 at 8:56 am

6. txandy58

What a brilliant idea! Hope you do well with it, I’ll need to think about it before I respond.

One suggestion I have as a consumer I’d be very interested in knowing more about each artist you select to build a Perfume around. Everybody loves a great story and I think you should consider a sentence or two about the artist as well as a link to their website where the consumer can view their work. People will like that.

December 4, 2015 at 4:24 pm

• Thank you for your response! And in reply, yes, I do plan to include details of each artist in the exhibition. It will be in the form of a catalogue that can be picked up within the space. Hopefully people will like it πŸ™‚

December 6, 2015 at 10:34 am

7. igor

Tell my why do you breathe, and i will tell you why i make art

December 4, 2015 at 9:23 pm

December 6, 2015 at 10:35 am

8. Every morning I think what am I gone paint today?Each painting aims to bring light in the world! X Maja

December 6, 2015 at 7:33 pm

December 7, 2015 at 10:22 am

9. Because i need it . The expression is my drug .
    Niya

December 9, 2015 at 9:21 pm

December 11, 2015 at 1:38 pm

10. My art is the result of an effort to capture what inspires me – the exquisite grace of the human form. But it is motivated by my desire to raise awareness of nature’s fragility. I regard my sculptures as romantic stewards of the environment.

December 13, 2015 at 8:15 pm

December 14, 2015 at 12:35 pm

11. Theresa Perlmutter

If I don’t I will go mad. Seriously, I have to create or I slide into a darkness that is a terrible place for me and my family around me .

December 17, 2015 at 12:34 am

December 18, 2015 at 10:08 am

12. Art for me is a need, itΒ΄s the best way I have to express mysellf.

December 21, 2015 at 8:42 am

December 21, 2015 at 10:55 am

13. paulgn

Why do I make art ? Compulsion , training, curiosity, communication and interaction with peers and audience. Exploring and double checking the world. Money.

January 17, 2016 at 6:26 am

14. When I was a little girl I suffered panic and stress due to my upbringing! I use to see spinning paint colors in my mind and no Dr could ever explan it too me, Until the greatest of all did Jesus! I became a painter to inspire others that nothing is impossible through faith! I believe all children are inspired to be and do as there parents guide them
    ,,So mine is about Jesus! I know I would not be here alive today with out him …I paint on many differant things and often paint on wine glasses because it is not about the object but gaining new sight and perception! Have a wonderful day always Sheryl

February 22, 2016 at 6:03 pm

• Thanks so much for you inspiring and detailed response Sheryl! I’m looking forward to making a perfume out of that! πŸ™‚ …All the perfumes I’m going to display at my exhibition at Bank St Arts have now been made. But I’d like to make a perfume portrait for you in time for my next solo exhibition in October, if that sounds good?

February 24, 2016 at 6:50 pm

15. I believe that it is the process of artistic creation what gives the real sense to my life.
    It is not easy but when one is alone in the room with the art work, there is total abstraction of the being and nothing else in this world matters nor makes sense – no problems nor memories. It is in these moments when I feel being fully myself.
    In every instance the artistic creation starts with an initial idea that one wants to transmit; in general that initial idea evolves and becomes what one wants to achieve.
    To clearly transmit a message or a feeling through an image is not easy. The inspiration is something complex to explain – is a moment of imaginative clarity linked to a state of mind that should be appropriate not only for the work itself but also to the specific art work one is creating.
    If all these conditions are met and the idea is good, the artistic ability will do the rest.

February 27, 2016 at 8:44 pm

• Thanks for your response. Great explanation of your process! Thank you

February 28, 2016 at 11:40 am

16. Anonymous

I maΔ·e artto evoke an emotion in the viewer

February 27, 2016 at 11:55 pm